Student Voter Guide for Colorado’s 2020 Presidential Primary Election
This guide will help you participate in Colorado’s March 3 presidential primary, in which you can help choose America’s presidential nominees.
In Colorado’s primary, if you’re affiliated with a major party, you may cast a ballot for candidates of that party. An unaffiliated voter may cast a ballot for any one political party, but only one party. (If a minor party has a contest, voters affiliated with that party may cast a ballot for those candidates.)
Dates and Deadlines
Primary election date: March 3, 2020
(Your ballot must be received by your county clerk, or deposited at a drop-box or drop-off location, by 7:00 PM on Election Day.)Voter registration: To receive your ballot by mail, you must register (or update your voter registration) online or submit an application by mail through February 24). Otherwise, you can register in-person at a voter service and polling center in your county through Election Day.
Why this caucus matters
You have a chance to determine the presidential nominees for the two major political parties. As part of Super Tuesday, the Colorado primary plays an important role. Democratic Party delegates are allotted proportionately to those candidates who reach a 15% threshold, while Republican Party delegates are allotted proportionately to those candidates who reach a 20% threshold.
For Republican and Democratic Presidential candidate websites, CNN has a complete list. Politico also has a quick guide to Democratic candidate positions.
Every Colorado resident who will be eighteen years of age on the date of the next general election is entitled to vote in a state primary election or presidential primary election.
How to register to vote
Use your valid Colorado driver’s license or ID card issued by the Colorado Department of Revenue to register online, by mail or in person. If you do not have a Colorado driver’s license or ID, you can register by mail or in person using your social security number or another acceptable form of ID.
To register, you must have a valid Colorado driver’s license, or an ID card issued by the Colorado Department of Revenue.
ID Requirements for voting
(If you are voting by mail for the first time, you may also need to provide a photocopy of your identification when you return your mail ballot.)
- A valid Colorado driver’s license, or an ID card issued by the Colorado Department of Revenue
- A valid U.S. passport (showing a Colorado address)
- A copy of a current (within the last 60 days) utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document with your name and address
- A valid student identification card with your photograph issued by a Colorado institute of higher education
- A valid identification card issued by a federally recognized tribal government certifying tribal membership.
- Other acceptable forms of identification
Address to use for registering and voting
Per federal election law, college students can register and vote at either their campus address or their permanent home address, which may be out of state. However, voters can only be registered at one address. If you are not going to physically be in the state where you plan to vote, you will need to request an absentee ballot.
It’s your choice where to register. Registering at your campus address will not:
- Affect your federal financial aid
- Prevent your parents from claiming you as a dependent on their taxes
- Cost you any scholarships, unless they’re tied to specific residency requirements
- Affect your tuition status as an in-state or out-of-state student.
- Go Vote Colorado
- Colorado primary election FAQs
- Vote-by-mail in Colorado
- 2020 Colorado Presidential Primary Election candidate list
- Online/by-mail voter registration information
- Accessibility resources
- Colorado Democratic Party
- Colorado Republican Party
- Campus Vote Project – detailed student voting guides by state
- Vote411 – see candidate stands & generate a personalized ballot
TurboVote or RockTheVote– get voter registration documents & email reminder